8 of the Germiest Public Places – Some May Surprise You
It’s an exciting world out there, but it can be pretty germy, too. That’s according to the editors of Prevention Magazine, who have compiled a list of the eight public places that bacteria like best.
- Restaurant menus – Except for a quick swipe with a dirty rag, when was the last time you saw your menu being cleaned? Right after handing it back would be a good time for a PURELL moment.
- Lemon wedges –According to a 2007 study in the Journal of Environmental Health, nearly 70% of lemon wedges on restaurant glasses contain disease-causing microbes—including, in some cases, E. coli and other fecal bacteria. How about skipping the fruit garnish?
- Condiment dispensers – Remember those rarely cleaned restaurant menus? Ditto for the salt and pepper shakers, ketchup and mustard bottles and other shared table property.
- Restroom door handles – Some people wash their hands before exiting public restrooms. Others don’t. Yikes.
- Bulk soap dispensers – Ironically, bulk soap dispensers can actually be a breeding ground for germs. Bulk soap dispensers are the kind where soap is poured into the top. One study showed that 25% were contaminated, some with fecal matter. While you don’t usually have a choice, the ones that use sealed cartridge-style refills are safe.
- Grocery carts – A University of Arizona study revealed that the handles of almost two-thirds of tested shopping carts were contaminated with fecal bacteria. In fact, the bacterial count on the typical supermarket cart handle exceeded that of the average public restroom.
- Airplane restrooms – You’re 100 times likelier to catch a cold when you’re up in the air than on the ground. And that’s the least of your problems. When airplane bathrooms were tested, E. coli was found on faucets, doorknobs and other surfaces.
- Your doctor’s office –After all, it’s where sick people hang out.
Sure, the public can be a germy place, but have no fear. Just be sure and keep a small size bottle of PURELL with you for a quick burst of refreshing wellness.
Only PURELL® Brand Hand Sanitizer gives you this feeling of well being as you dine, shop, travel and explore your world.